I think I may have finally perfected my Banana Bread recipe to a point where it tastes completely indulgent, but is really pretty healthy and good for you. There is minimal sugar, only 1 egg, and made with whole grains, fruit, and cinnamon (did you know cinnamon can reduce your blood sugar and cholesterol, improve cognitive performance, fight infections, and ease body pains?). You could experiment with substitutes for the brown sugar (honey, juice, applesauce) if you wanted it healthier yet. I've tried egg substitutes, or egg whites, but just wasn't quite happy enough with, so have settled on 1 whole egg. Let me know if you like it!
5 Dry Ingredients:
1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
1 cup Bread Flour (combo of Whole Wheat & Barley Flour)
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Baking Powder
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
1 1/2 cups Mashed Ripe Bananas (4-5 Bananas)
1 tsp. Skim Milk
1 tsp. Cinnamon
2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
Optional Add-in Ingredient:
6-10 oz Chocolate Chips or Chopped Walnuts
1. Preheat Oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine the dry ingredients in separate bowl.
3. In Kitchenaid mixer (or regular bowl with hand-mixer), combine "other ingredients" (egg, brown sugar, bananas, milk, cinnamon, and vanilla) on medium speed until well-combined.
4. Reduce mixer speed to medium-low.
Slowly add in dry/flour mixture, just until combined (don't overmix).
5. Optional: Fold in chocolate chips or walnuts
(I added chocolate chips).
6. Pour batter into greased and flour-dusted bread pan.
7. Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
8. Transfer to wire rack and let cool.
PS--My Camera is BACK! Fixed for "only" $211 (sigh).