I love Pizza. Let's just get that straight. I also like to eat healthily, so I was so excited to see a recipe for pizza with a cauliflower crust. That's right folks, a light, vegetable, low-carb, natually gluten-free crust. Beth's blog, eat. drink. smile. was the inspiration for this Cauliflower Crust Pizza. I've modified her recipe by preparing the cauliflower a little differently (mashing instead of "ricing") and it worked great. This meal is loaded with veggies, herbs, healthy cheese, and lots of yumminess. It has also reminded me that I haven't posted my awesome Mashed Cauliflower recipe yet (note to self to do so soon).
This recipe makes 2, 9" pizza crusts. So, feel free to follow the recipe as is for two pizzas. However, if you are looking for just one pizza, then do half of everything. If you still want to use the entire head of cauliflower though, I recommend making some Mashed Cauliflower with the other half of the cauliflower and saving it for the next day.
Yields 2 - 9" Pizza Crust
1 Large Head of Cauliflower
2 Cups Shredded Low-Fat Mozzarella Cheese (or Italian Blend)
2 Egg Whites
2 tsp. Dried Oregano
2 tsp. Garlic Powder
2 tsp. Dried Basil
Extra-Virgin Olive Oil, optional
*Pizza Sauce (or plain tomato sauce with garlic/oregano/basil added), Shredded Cheese, and Your Choice of Toppings
1. Remove stems and leaves from cauliflower.
Chop the florets into small chunks.
2. In a saucepan over medium-high heat, bring 1 cup of water to a boil. Add in cauliflower and cook for about 10-15 minutes, or until cauliflower is tender. Drain cauliflower.
3. Using a potato masher (or food processor), mash up the cauliflower. Don't over-mash (or over-pulse) as you want texture and for it not to be a complete puree.
4. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
5. In a medium bowl, stir together 1 Cup of the mashed cauliflower, egg white, and cheese. Stir in the oregano, garlic, and basil.
6. Spread mixture into a 9" circle on the baking sheet. Brush olive oil over the top of the mixture (optional).
7. Bake at 450 for 15 minutes, or until lightly browned.
8. Remove from oven. Add sauce to crust, toppings (I used diced tomatoes and my Spinach and Artichoke Dip/Spread on one and ham/pineapple/pizza sauce on the other), and cheese.
9. Bake at 450 for 5-10 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
Serve immediately and enjoy!